You can qualify for the scheme in one of two ways:

Core group - You receive the Guaranteed Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you also receive Savings Credit). To receive your rebate from So Energy, you would need to be a So Energy customer before 5 July 2020. 

Broader group - This covers a longer list of eligibility criteria that we have agreed with Ofgem (the regulatory body for energy suppliers) before applications opened. Our criteria is listed in the table below, the number of Broader Group rebates are limited each year, and so they are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. 

If you meet the criteria for the Broader group, you can apply for the Warm Home Discount in your online account. 


Initial Qualifying Criteria

Additional Criteria


A person who receives Income Support. 


(a) Has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 18 in full time education who ordinarily resides with that person


A person who receives Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (IR ESA) which includes a support component

Or (b) receives any one of the following in addition:

  • Child tax credit which includes a disability or severe disability element;
  • A disabled child premium
  • A disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium
  • A pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium


A person who receives IR ESA and who is a member of the work-related activity group


A person who received Income-based Jobseeker’s allowance 


A person who is receiving child tax credit by virtue of an award which is based on an annual income not exceeding £16,190

Or (c) Is aged 65 or over


A person who is in receipt of universal credit, and has earned an income between zero and £1,349 in at least one of the relevant assessment periods (beginning no earlier than 6 months before the start of the scheme year)


(a) Has limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity

Or (b) is in receipt of the disabled child element

Or (c) has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 18 in full-time education who ordinarily resides with that person

Or (d) is aged 65 or over