A So Energy customer has passed away, what should I do?
We understand that a period of bereavement is a difficult time, and that you may have a lot of things to handle. We will do our very best to make sure the process can be as easy as possible for you. We'd recommend getting in contact with us so we can help arrange any affairs related to the energy supply, and avoid sending any emails or bills to the person who has passed away.
What information do I need when I call or email?
We would advise contacting us as soon as possible, even though you might not have everything to hand. We'll need to know:
- Details of the person who has passed away - their name, supply address, date they died and their So Energy account number if you know this.
- Details of the person taking responsibility for the deceased’s affairs - their name, contact number, email address and their role (this should be an Executor if there is a will or an Administrator if there isn’t)
- Your name, contact number, email address and relationship to the deceased
- An up to date meter reading for the supply address
- Details on what is happening with the property (i.e. - Being sold, occupied, vacant etc.)
What happens if the person who passed away owned the property?
If someone will be living in the property:
We'll set up a new account for the person living at the property. We'll need to hear from them directly to do this.
If the property is going to be sold:
We may contact you from time to time to gather information regarding the sale of the property. We will put on a hold on the account to cease all other communication until the sale.
What happens if the person who passed away rented the property?
After receiving the date of passing and up to date meter readings, we will close the account and send a final bill to the person dealing with the deceased’s estate.
Is a copy of the death certificate required?
Yes, please post a copy of the death certificate (not the original) to one of the following:
107 Power Road
Or email a scanned copy to email@example.com
Last updated: Tue, 23 Jun, 2020 at 12:04 PM
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback