What should I do to prepare for my installation?
There are a few things our engineers need to ensure they can complete the installation:
- An adult of 18 or over will need to be present within the property throughout the work, even if the meters are outside, as our engineers will need to come into the property to test some appliances before and after the work is done.
- If there are any furry friends that may roam the halls, please keep them locked safely away in one room throughout the installation.
- The area around your meters should be accessible and free of obstacles and obstructions before our engineers arrive. The engineer will need access to your main fuse and the emergency control valve (ECV) to turn off the electricity and gas respectively during the installation.
At this time during the coronavirus pandemic, we ask that you give us an additional helping hand with any upcoming appointments you may have by:
- Letting us know as soon as possible if you or anyone in your home is vulnerable and/or self-isolating to ensure we don’t put anyone at risk.
- Making sure the area around your meter and fuse box is clear of obstacles to help speed up the process.
- Adhering to social distancing, we ask that you give our engineers adequate space to work.
You can read more about the steps our engineering partners are taking to ensure our customers are safe during the coronavirus pandemic here.
Will I be notified when the engineer is on their way?
This is something we can request from our partner engineers but unfortunately can't guarantee. This is because the engineer may not have the time to call beforehand, or the job may be passed to an engineer whilst driving. Because of this, we do request someone is at the property for the duration on the time slot.
You can read more about our meter engineers here.
What should I do if I need to change or cancel my appointment?
If you need to cancel your appointment with us, please let us know as soon as possible and with more than 24 hours’ notice. You can do this by calling our customer services team. If you cancel within 24 hours of your scheduled appointment, we may charge a cancellation fee of £30.
Similarly, if we or our partner engineers need to cancel your appointment, we will let you know. If we do not let you know with more than 24 hours’ notice, you will be entitled to a £30 account credit.
My meters are in an awkward position. Can you also relocate them at the appointment?
Unfortunately, can't move meters as this work is not covered by the smart meter installation. Relocating the meters is a separate job that would involve a fee. It may also require the involvement of your local District Network Operator (DNO) or Gas Transporter (GT) if your main fuse/pipework needs moving too.
Fortunately, with our smart meters you will also receive an in-home display (IHD). This will show your meter reads so you do not need to take them from the meter, and the reads will be sent to us automatically.
Last updated: Tue, 10 Nov, 2020 at 10:10 AMPrint this page
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback