Planning that next big project? Whether you're looking to have a new meter installed or you need some alterations made to your existing set up, we've got together this helpful section so that there are no nasty surprises when you reach out.
- Our charges: summarised
- I need a new meter installed
- I need my meter removed
- I need my meter upgraded
- I need my meter relocated
- I fall under the 'other' category
- Out with the old, in with the new
Our charges: summarised
We've created a quick list so that you can see exactly what we'll charge for each of our different meter services. We'll go into the ins and outs of each service throughout this page.
|Service Type||Available Services||Cost (including VAT)|
|Meter Installation||Smart Electricity, Gas or Both Meter Installations||£0|
|Meter Installation||Traditional Single Phase Electricity and Standard Gas Meter Installations||£120|
|Meter Installation||Traditional Three Phase Electricity Meter Installation||£500|
|Smart Three Phase Meter Installation||N/A|
|Meter Installation||U16 (Large Supply) Gas Meter||Quotation given upon survey|
|Meter Removal||Electricity Meter Removal||£120|
|Meter Removal||Gas Meter Removal||£150|
|Meter Relocation||Electricity Meter Relocation||£120|
|Meter Relocation||Gas Meter Relocation||£150|
|Meter Testing||Check Meter Installation (Electricity)||£120|
|Meter Testing||OFMAT Test (Gas)||£160|
|Other||Isolation Switch Installation||£120|
|Other||IHD Replacement (Accidental Damage)||£30|
I need a new meter installed
If you require a new meter install whether it be electricity, gas or both, you have a couple of options. We've broken these down for you below:
- Smart meter installation (electricity, gas or both) - free of charge
- Single phase legacy/traditional meter installation (electricity, gas or both) - £120 per meter (including VAT)
- Split/three phase smart meter installation (electricity) - not yet available
- Split/three phase legacy traditional meter installation (electricity) - £500 per meter (including VAT)
- First, you will need to contact either your local DNO (electricity) or GT (gas) to request a Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN - electricity) or a Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN - gas). You will need one of these before we can register you for an account, so this is an important one.
- Once you have contacted either your DNO, GT or both (if you need both), they should outline all of the relevant steps on their end, including a date when they can come and install your new energy supply. They will also provide you with an MPAN or MPRN that we can use to set up your account, as well as your meter requirements e.g. a single phase domestic smart meter.
- Once you have been given 1) a date for installation, 2) an MPAN or MPRN (or both) and 3) your chosen meter requirements, please email us via firstname.lastname@example.org to provide us with all of the details listed above. We can then come and install your meter on the same day (typically in the afternoon), or for a time that suits you.
- As a reference point, this process usually takes around 42 days from start to finish.
Not sure which meter to pick: By default we will offer you a smart meter, assuming your new energy supply can accommodate one. However, we do have other options available if requested. Why not visit our smart FAQ page for more details, or drop us an email at email@example.com to request your free installation.
I need my meter removed
If you are looking to have your existing meter removed, we can certainly help. Our removal charges can be found below:
- Electricity meter removal (smart or traditional) - £120 (including VAT)
- Gas meter removal (smart or traditional) - £150 (including VAT)
Remember: as your nominated energy supplier we are the only party that is allowed to remove your meter. We reserve the right to conduct a full investigation should our meter be removed by any other means. Also, it's worth mentioning that the removal cost will still apply even if your DNO/GT have already disconnected your main supply.
- If you would like to go ahead with the work, please email us a clear photo of the meter requiring removal via firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a brief reason as to why you need the work done (just so that we can update our records).
- We can then arrange a site visit to de-energise/isolate your supply and remove your meter, then your DNO/GT can come and remove the cable or pipework (if you require a total supply disconnection i.e. if your house is being demolished).
- Just so you know, once we have removed your meter we will collate your final meter readings and will send a final bill out to you within 6 weeks.
I need my meter upgraded
Looking to expand? Or maybe you're having an electric vehicle (EV) charging point installed. Whatever it may be, we can help by supplying a meter to match your upgrade requirements. The process differs slightly between gas and electricity, so we'll outline exactly what's involved for both below.
Getting started - electricity
- Most domestic electricity supply points are single phase, but if you need upgrading to a split or three phase set up you will first need to contact your local Distribution Network Operator requesting a supply upgrade. We are unable to help until you have spoken with your DNO, so please raise a request with them first before approaching us.
- Once you have agreed an upgrade date with your DNO, please email us your complete upgrade requirements via email@example.com so that we can fully understand what you need. A clear photo of your entire meter/supply set up would also be really beneficial here, just so that we can be sure the new meter will fit in the required space.
- As soon as we have confirmed exactly what you need, we will then arrange to attend on your chosen date with a three phase (bigger) meter.
- Remember, a new three phase meter install costs £500 (including VAT), and we are not yet installing three-phase smart meters.
Some older domestic set-ups have a 60-80-amp main fuse that may require upgrading to 100 amps. Your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) will upgrade the main fuse and we will upgrade the meter to match (if required).
So tip: Our smart meters are compatible with 100A supply points, so if you need to upgrade, remember that smart meters come at no extra cost.
Getting started - gas
- If you need to upgrade your gas supply, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your new energy requirements in kWh (kilowatt hours). If you are unsure what this is, you might need to arrange for a private Gas Safety Engineer to tell you what your energy demand is.
- Once we have confirmed your requirements, we will contact your local Gas Transporter on your behalf, who will then conduct a GT1 Survey. If you require a meter upgrade at this point, we will arrange a survey/quotation visit with you
- Upon acceptance of our quotation, a further visit will be made to install a U16 (large supply) gas meter.
I need my meter relocated
Planning that new kitchen extension but your meter's getting in the way of things? No problem, just let us know and we can help!
- Electricity meter relocation - £120 (including VAT)
- Gas meter relocation - £150 (including VAT)
- As your energy supplier, we are responsible for moving your meter to its new location. If your planned move is more than your electricity meter tails allow, or the bendy anaconda pipe for your gas meter allows (approximately 30cm), your Distribution Network Operator or Gas Transporter will need to relocate your supply point first
- If you know that your planned meter move is greater than 30cm, please contact your DNO or GT to arrange a supply point move/service alteration first. You can find out who your DNO and GT are by clicking here
- You will also need to arrange for a private electrician or gas-safe engineer to be present on the same day, as they will need to reconnect any internal wiring such as your fuse box (if electricity). They will be able to complete this work after we have moved your meter
- Once you have arranged a date with your respective distributor and a private electrician, please get in touch with us via email@example.com and we will arrange an appointment to move your meter to its new location on the afternoon of your requested date
- Please note: we do require 20 working days’ notice to book the appointment in and a fee (outlined above) is applicable
If you are moving your meter outside, you will need to arrange for a meter box to be fitted prior to the appointment day. You can ask your DNO for support on this, if needed.
I fall under the 'other' category
If you are looking for something extra special then we will try our best to help. We've outlined our remaining 'other' chargeable meter services below:
- Isolator switch installation - £120 (including VAT)
- Check meter installation - £120 (including VAT)
- OFMAT test - £160 (including VAT)
- Replacement in-home display (IHD) - £30 (if accidentally damaged)
If you require any of the above services, please email your request to us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to help.
Out with the old, in with the new
If you suspect that your traditional meter is not recording as it should be, it could be a great time to make the switch to smart meters! With smart meters, not only will we be able to closely monitor your usage to make sure that everything is in line, we will also be providing a free service and resolving your query at the same time.
Alternatively, we do offer more traditional options such as a check meter installation for your electricity, or an OFMAT test for your gas. If you choose either of these options, the charges outlined above will only be applicable if your meter is found to be in working order after successful completion of the relevant tests. Should the meter be proven to be faulty, however, we will cover the cost of these tests.
Why not check out our listed faults section here where you can find some helpful tips on what to do in the event of a suspected fault.
Last updated: Tue, 13 Jul, 2021 at 3:45 PMPrint this page
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback